Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Seeking Sullivan

Regular readers of the blog may have noticed it's been a really long time since I've written about my classic movie project (watching all of the films on the AFI 100 best movie lists). In fact, it has been exactly 56 days since I last posted on the subject. So what gives? Have I, yet again, given up on a project I've started? The good news is that, no, I haven't. I'm just starting to fall behind because of this:


Sullivan's Travels, a 1941 comedy that I'd never heard of prior to starting this project. I don't much know what it's about, but I do know it's apparently hard to come by. I typically get my classic films from either Turner Classic Movies, recorded to the DVR, or else Netflix. TCM hasn't had this on the schedule for quite some time, so I haven't been able to record it, and Netflix doesn't have it available for streaming. That leaves Netflix DVD, or else seeking it out at a local library. Two problems with that, though.

1) I always forget to return things on time to the library. Always. Even with the nice libraries (I'm talking to you, Des Moines and Urbandale) that email you reminders about due dates, I find myself not getting back to the library in time to avoid having to pay. As a result I think I have modest fines on all four of my area library cards. Not that it's a problem; it's good to support the library. But when I have movies piling up on the DVR, it seems silly to risk fines just to get to the next one in line.

2) This is very much my project, not mine and Stacia's. Sadly, S does not share my affinity for old films, so she really doesn't care to watch them all with me. Usually I can convince her to watch the really good ones if I want to see them a second time. Not really a problem, but our Netflix account is a 1-out-at-a-time, and it really is ours, so any old movies have to get worked into the rotation fairly. I finagled Citizen Kane in earlier this month, but to be equitable, there should be some "us" DVDs in queue next before we get to another one of mine. Again, it's not an issue to me, since there are so many others that are streamable and on TCM.

It just means that the next "filmfest" might not be complete for a little while. I'm just missing Sullivan's Travels for the next batch, then similarly one movie for the next group after that. I will get there. But in the meantime, I'm fitting in whichever movies I do have on the DVR, working ahead, if you will. Just last night I watched The Petrified Forest, which is only a nominee for one of AFI's top 100 movie villains, but it sounded interesting so I gave it a shot while Sullivan is still MIA. (Pretty average, incidentally - 3/5 petrified hunks of wood, awarded for Bogie's wooden acting).

So fear not if you haven't seen any movie reviews on here in a while. They're coming, albeit slowly. I'm still having fun with it, and I'm still not overly pressuring myself to finish them all, so everything's good from my perspective. If I can keep patient on this, I'm sure somehow you guys will manage too.

No comments:

Post a Comment