Tuesday, May 10, 2011

100!!!

At about 9:30 tonight, I will have been contributing to this blog for 2 years and 27 days.  I kind of celebrated the one-year anniversary of the blog, but today I'll reach an even more impressive milestone.  This marks the one hundredth post on Zinkthink.  Which, if we do the math, means that I've averaged one post every 7.58 days.  Not too bad, about once a week, but I really didn't care about that when I started this entry.  I suppose on some level I truly am an engineer, cuz I saw two numbers and pretty much needed to do some math to them to be happy.  :)  Getting back on track, this is my one hundredth post!

To celebrate, here's a picture I found of a dinosaur wearing a hat:
Interestingly enough, I did a google search for "dinosaur wearing a party hat" and ended up with this image, so apparently someone out there is throwing really classy dinosaur parties.  Fancier than any that I go to anyway.

So, 100 is a pretty big deal.  I actually stressed just a little bit, trying to think of something really fun and exciting to do for the hundredth post.  I jokingly suggested that I'd have a contest for the best comment, with a really great prize, but I figured that would just sound desperate.  I considered having a retrospective of some sort, maybe a "100 things I learned in this blog."  But when I thought about it, that's really what each individual post was about.  Each one represents my thoughts at a particular moment in time, and what I had learned or wanted to share about them.  Going back and rehashing them all would be redundant.  And lastly, I thought about having something totally whimsical, just so I wouldn't have to worry about having something profound.

(So far you have a "borrowed" dinosaur picture and me rambling.  Not a great bargain at this point.)

In the end, I think a post like this is pretty appropriate.  I need to be less list-obsessive in the first place, so putting up a 100th entry that had no more overarching value than any other post is probably a good thing for me.  And going back to the genesis of this whole blog, the inspiring quote that "even a column should have a point," this post fits perfectly as it has none.  Now that I'm over the hump of 100 with this filler post, I can get back to what I want to write about without any milestone hanging over me: stuff like cooking, movies, and the various adventures in the life of a guy playing an engineer.

Snark aside, I would like to thank the people who read this blog.  I often joke that I write about a thousand words a week so Stacia can read them, but then I'll find myself surprised by just how many people in my life are aware of my little online home.  I started writing as a mental escape of sorts, but it's fun to know that it's also a way that my family can keep up with what I'm doing or what's on my mind.  My Elgin family, my Edgewood family, and even my little Des Moines family - this whole blog is for you, so thanks for reading.  Any time I think about quitting this site, someone will say something like "it's been a while since you've blogged," just out of the blue, and I think there might be some value to it after all.

Cheers, everybody!  Here's to another hundred posts.

Champagne?  Don't mind if I do...  ;)

1 comment:

  1. Yay! Congrats on reaching a hundred posts! Even if I see you everyday, I still enjoy reading these little glimpses into your thoughts. And I happen to think that a dinosaur wearing a hat is a fantastic way to celebrate this milestone.

    ReplyDelete